Friday, April 27, 2007

Treasures in Clay Jars

People are flawed. Shocker, huh? It's true! We are an imperfect race. We mess up, say the wrong things, hurt people's feelings. In short, we fail. But there is good news! Our value lies not in our package, but in what is contained inside the package! And if we have the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Prince of Peace living within us, WOW! What a treasure we hold!

2 Corinthians 4:7-8 says, "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."

I have some clay pots on my front porch. I know for a fact that if I strike one of them down on the ground, it will be destroyed. If I press on it really hard, it will break. We are like those pots - flawed and weak. But our strength need not come from ourselves! If we have God himself living in us, we are not crushed, we are not left in despair, we will not be destroyed, and He will never, ever abandon us! Without Him, our strengths and abilities are limited at best. But with Him, there are no limits!

Dear Father, help me to stop relying on my own strength for success in this life. Help me to just relax, and rest in the knowledge of the priceless, limitless power contained within me - your Son, Jesus Christ.

Amen

No comments: