Sunday, September 23, 2007

When Bad People Do Good Things

Philippians 1:15 - 18 "It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice."

Politics, politics. Even in the time of the early church, there was envy and rivalry. Even then, there were people who did the right things with the wrong motives. Paul was a much better person than I am, for if I were sitting in prison, and others were taking advantage of my bondage to further their own causes, I'd be pretty steamed. But Paul was able to look past their motives and appreciate all that was being accomplished to further the gospel!

Sometimes I have to remind myself that God, and God alone, will judge each person's heart. He will hold each of us accountable not only for our actions, but for the reasons behind those actions. It is not my place to judge anyone. I am learning (though it is hard sometimes) to deal gently with people. I'm learning to give others the benefit of the doubt, and to appreciate their good qualities without scrutinizing their bad ones.

So, when someone (who happens to be running for public office) makes a very public, very generous donation to the church van fund, we can praise God for the donation! When those around us seem to be insincere in their concern for this cause or that, we must remind ourselves that God will use even wrong motives to accomplish great things. Most importantly, we must examine our own lives, and seek to remove any impurities which may lurk there, for God most certainly sees what others do not. And though He may use our insincere motives, His desire is to create in us clean hearts, pure aspirations, and beautiful spirits.

Dear Father, Thank You for using me in spite of myself. I know that I am sinful. Please help me not to judge others, but instead, help me to be thankful for the unique contributions each person makes.

Amen

No comments: